NEW YORK, NY – January 2, 2018 – Hudson Yards developers Related Companies and Oxford Properties Group today announced that 10 Hudson Yards, its first commercial office building to open, has received a LEED Platinum certification, making it the first commercial office building in New York to receive such a rating since the LEED v2009 rating system went into effect. The certification from the United States Green Building Council is an important early milestone in the development’s ambition to become the most connected, sustainable, responsive and efficient neighborhood in the U.S., and a world model for the city of the future. Since opening in May 2016, 10 Hudson Yards has been home to the global headquarters of Tapestry (Coach Inc., Kate Spade, Stuart Weitzman), L’Oréal USA, SAP, The Boston Consulting Group, VaynerMedia, Intersection and Sidewalk Labs. More recently, Crescent Capital Group, Ardea Partners, Chain Bridge Asset Management and Intercept Pharmaceuticals have moved their offices to the West Side tower, making 10 Hudson Yards home to more than 6,000 employees.
“Building an entire new neighborhood from the ground up afforded us the opportunity to recalibrate every aspect of a 21st century, urban mixed-use neighborhood,” said L. Jay Cross, president of Related Hudson Yards. “The designation of 10 Hudson Yards as LEED Platinum is a testament to our commitment to resiliency, a reflection of the innovative design features and exemplifies our vision to design and develop the most connected, measured and technologically advanced digital community ever.”
“Hudson Yards is a global destination. That means we have a global responsibility,” said Blake Hutcheson, president and CEO of Oxford Properties Group. “We’re proud to take a leadership approach to sustainability that creates value for our partners while doing what’s right for the planet. LEED Platinum is a special accomplishment in a project already filled with many, and it solidifies 10 Hudson Yards as the benchmark for what great buildings can aspire to.”
“LEED was created to improve the built environment by providing everyone with healthy, green and high-performing buildings,” said Mahesh Ramanujam, president and CEO, USGBC. “We commend Related and Oxford Properties Group on the LEED Platinum certification of 10 Hudson Yards as this development is not only setting the bar high for the way commercial buildings are designed, built and operated, it is showcasing the positive impact the built environment can have on its community.”
The 52-story tower, designed by acclaimed global architects Kohn Pedersen Fox Associates (KPF), offers state-of-the-art commercial offices, ground-floor retail space and a direct connection to the Shops & Restaurants at Hudson Yards. The building features panoramic views and is uniquely interwoven with the High Line, making 10 Hudson Yards one of the most distinct buildings in the city. Next year, the building will debut a 35,000 sq. ft. Spanish market and dining destination curated by José Andrés’ ThinkFoodGroup and brothers Ferran and Albert Adrià. The building is being managed by Related Management, whose innovative focus on the employee and visitor experience further distinguishes 10 Hudson Yards in the commercial office market.
- Ten Hudson Yards is also poised to be one of New York’s most energy-efficient Class A office towers. Standing 895 feet tall, the building also features:
- 1.2 MW of gas-fired micro turbines that generate power, hot water and chilled water with twice the efficiency of standard systems – even in the event of a power outage;
- a storm water retention tank to harvest rainwater that replenishes cooling towers and irrigates the building’s terrace landscaping;
- an Operation and Energy Control Center that coordinates security, building performance and visitor experience throughout Hudson Yards, and
- 100% raised floor throughout the building.
10 Hudson Yards is also equipped with underfloor air distribution; advanced lighting controls; and a robust telecommunications platform that includes site-wide Wi-Fi, fiber optic converged network, and wireless communications from any device at any on-site location.
The Hudson Yards Neighborhood:
The Hudson Yards neighborhood was designed to be a model for the 21st century urban experience; an unprecedented mix of buildings, streets, parks, utilities and public spaces that will combine to form a connected, responsive, clean, reliable and efficient neighborhood:
• Hudson Yards will have a first-of-its-kind microgrid and two cogeneration plants and will save 24,000 MT of CO2e greenhouse gases from being emitted annually (that’s equal to the emissions of 5,100 cars) by generating electricity, hot and chilled water for the neighborhood with over twice the efficiency of conventional sources. This onsite power-generation capacity will keep basic building services, residences and restaurant refrigerators running whatever the disturbance – brown out, superstorm, etc.
• Hudson Yards will make organic waste collection convenient by having three waste chutes in each residential building for trash, recyclables and organic waste, utilizing grinders and dehydrators in commercial kitchens to reduce the volume of food-service waste.
• Hudson Yards will harness nearly 10 million gallons of storm water per year from building roofs and public plazas, then filter and reuse it in mechanical and irrigation systems reducing stress on New York’s sewer system.
• Communications will be supported by a fiber loop, designed to optimize data speed and service continuity for rooftop communications, as well as mobile, cellular and two-way radio communications. This will allow continuous access via wired and wireless broadband performance from any device at any location throughout the neighborhood.
• Hudson Yards will harness big data to innovate, optimize, enhance and personalize the employee, resident and visitor experience. Supported by an advanced technology platform, operations managers will be able to monitor and react to traffic patterns, air quality, power demands, temperature and pedestrian flow to create the most efficiently navigated and environmentally attuned neighborhood in New York.
Hudson Yards comprises more than 18 million square feet of mixed-use development and will house more than 100 shops and restaurants, including New York City’s first Neiman Marcus, signature restaurants and diverse eateries; approximately 4,000 residences; 14-acres of public open space; a new 750-seat public school and an Equinox® branded luxury hotel with more than 200 rooms – all offering unparalleled amenities for residents, employees and guests.
The unprecedented commercial office leasing and residential sales efforts at Hudson Yards have attracted more than 6.4 million square feet of occupancy by some of the world’s leading businesses, and sold nearly $600 million in residential units. The Shops and Restaurants at Hudson Yards is also already more than 70 percent committed.
**High-resolution renderings of Hudson Yards are available at: https://related.box.com/s/vzztkolraobv61pqnzslqdheraikswqj or by e-mailing [email protected].
ABOUT RELATED COMPANIES:
Founded more than 40 years ago, Related Companies is a fully-integrated, highly diversified industry leader with experience in virtually every aspect of development, acquisitions, management, finance, fund management, marketing and sales. The company has $50 billion of real estate assets owned or under development including best-in-class mixed-use, residential, and retail, office, trade show and affordable properties in premier high-barrier-to-entry markets. Headquartered in New York City, Related has offices and major developments in Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, South Florida, Washington, D.C., Abu Dhabi and London, and is well-known for having developed the 2.8 million square foot Time Warner Center in New York City and the 72-acre CityPlace in West Palm Beach. The firm developed one of the first LEED-certified residential buildings in the nation, Tribeca Green in Battery Park City, New York and Chicago’s first LEED-certified residential building, 340 on the Park. Related has since delivered 15 additional LEED Silver, Gold and Platinum certified properties, and has over 30 LEED building and neighborhood projects in design and construction, across all asset classes, as well as being a leader in green building. For more information, please visit www.related.com.
ABOUT OXFORD PROPERTIES GROUP:
Oxford Properties Group is one of the world’s premier real estate investment, development and management companies. Established in 1960, Oxford manages over $40 billion of real estate assets on behalf of its co-owners and investment partners, with a global portfolio spanning over 60 million square feet. We have offices across Canada and in London, Luxembourg, Boston, Washington D.C. and New York, with regional investment, development and management professionals who have deep real estate expertise and local market insight. Oxford is the global real estate arm of OMERS, the pension plan for Ontario’s municipal employees. For more information about our hands-on approach to real estate, visit www.oxfordproperties.com.